Experience On Your Side Get Honest Counsel & an Attorney Ready to Fight for You

Modification of Alimony in California

Legal Counsel from the Law Offices of Evan Samuelson

Alimony, also referred to as spousal support, is a court-ordered amount of money one spouse is accountable for paying the other. At the Law Offices of Evan Samuelson, I am an experienced family lawyer who understands that situations change in which the amount of alimony may need to be modified.

Whether you lost your job and can no longer afford to pay the required alimony, your spouse is not doing their part to become able to provide for themselves or your income severely dropped, I can assist you and guide you through the process of modifying your alimony. I can provide you with my 25+ years of experience and see to it that we reach an effective solution.

The Process of Modifying Alimony

There are multiple steps involved in the modification process. It is important to understand that you are still obligated to pay the initial alimony amount up until the judge finalizes the new modified amount. With this in mind, it is imperative that you start the modification process as soon as possible.

The steps include:

  • Complete the required court forms, get them reviewed, and make a couple copies for your records.
  • Turn the forms into the court clerk
  • Establish a court date for the modification process
  • Have someone serve papers to your former spouse and ensure the server turns in proof of service
  • Attend the court hearing: if the judge allows for the modification, he/she will sign a court order

When One Party Member Does Not Adhere to Agreements

When you and your ex-spouse signed your divorce contracts, you were agreeing to the certain terms that you would each follow through with until the designated time. For example, perhaps your spouse agreed to pay child support until the kids go to college, or they are paying your spousal support until you find a new job.

Perhaps you are a mother who was a stay at home parent and the alimony payment is the only way you are able to raise the kids as they deserve. You and your spouse agreed on certain terms, and then for whatever reason, they have been broken. In this case, post-judgment modification may be used as well because one of the spouses was non-compliant in their responsibilities to make payments. Whether you are in need of payment from your ex, or you are suffering because your ex is not following with the agreement, a family law attorney at our firm can help you determine what the best course of action is.

Consult a Seasoned Lawyer at the Law Offices of Evan Samuelson

If you are in need of changing the alimony amount you are obliged to, a divorce lawyer can assist. With over 25 years of legal experience, I can evaluate your case and will fight for the resolution you deserve. I can guide you through the legal steps involved and make sure you have the legal tools and knowledge needed when handling your case. If there is a significant change in your circumstances, now is the time to make sure that you are not paying more alimony than you can afford or deserve to pay.

Contact an attorney to get started on a petition to modify your spousal support order.

See What Our Clients Are Saying

  • “He was great with answering my questions and explaining the processes to me. I highly recommend you at least consult with him.”

    Avvo Reviewer

  • “During trial Evan was not only knowledgeable about case law, he was calm and reassuring during the process. I am forever grateful to have had Evan Samuelson as my attorney.”

    Jennifer Nardone

  • “He was very willing to fight for us and we devised a strategy together that was both brilliant and effective.”

    David Mitchell

  • “Extremely helpful”

    Avvo Reviewer

  • “Mr. Samuelson was fantastic! He knows his job and he knows it well.”

    Jennifer Tarrant

  • “He made a terrible situation manageable. I am thankful that I had picked him, he really fought for me.”

    Avvo Reviewer

  • “I am eternally grateful for his help in my custody case.”

    Bart S.

Put Experience On Your Side

Contact Our Office for Your Case Evaluation
  1. Over 25 Years of Legal Experience
  2. 100% Devoted to Family Law
  3. We Treat Clients Like People, Not Cases
  4. Your Best Interests Are Placed Above All
  5. We Work Hard for the Most Efficient Resolutions
  6. You Will Be Kept Informed Throughout the Process
Get In Touch
  • Please enter your name.
  • This isn't a valid email address.
    Please enter your email address.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
    Please enter your phone number.
    You entered an invalid number.
  • Please select an option.
  • Please enter a message.